Location: Washington, District Of Columbia
Category: Accounting & Finance
Job ID: 10174
The organization is seeking an experienced, hands-on Controller to provide management of all accounting and reporting activities supporting the global operations. They will conduct all day-to-day accounting and control operations for the organization. The Controller will have functional responsibility over accounting, accounts payable/receivable and expense procedures for US and UK entities (in partnership with UK staff).
The Controller will report to the Director of Finance and manage/supervise one current direct report and future hires in the Finance team. This role will work closely with the leadership of the organization as well as the Finance Committee of the Board of Directors in partnership with the Director of Finance.
- Manage all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems to ensure compliance with GAAP standards.
- Oversee all accounts payable and receivable including credit card and expense reports and ensure prompt payment of invoices both domestically and internationally.
- In collaboration with the People & Culture team, liaise with the payroll company to process payroll and ensure proper payroll tax compliance and reporting; record salary and tax payments properly in the database;
- Work closely with the Director of Finance to implement a budgeting process that allows the organization to plan realistically and responsibly.
- Work with the Director of Finance to design systems to meet needs for financial reporting across all areas of the organization.
- Ensure ongoing integrity of financial data through regular reconciliation, auditing, and spot checking as part of monthly and quarterly procedures.
- Supervise 1-2 accounting staff conducting accounting activities including bookkeeping, month end close, financial reporting and budget tracking.
- Provide training to management, leadership and staff in basic financial management and reading financial documents.
A well-qualified candidate will possess the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or similar field required. CPA or CMA highly desirable.
- 7-10+ years of progressive experience in an organization with a minimum budget of $15 million and complex restricted institutional funding.
- Thorough knowledge of current accounting and financial reporting methods and procedures; expertise and experience with external and internal audit practice and standards.
- Strong background in GAAP required; additional knowledge of IFRS a plus.
- Advanced knowledge of accounting and reporting software – Sage Intacct experience a plus.