Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Controller is responsible for managing all operational accounting and disbursements functions. Ensures accuracy and compliance with GAAP for all general ledger transactions and reconciliations. Maintains best practices regarding internal controls and is responsible for maintaining the integrity of the financial accounting system and associated financial subsystems such as payroll and accounts payable.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Plan, direct and coordinate the operational accounting and disbursements functions to support the monthly close process.
- Manage the accumulation and consolidation of all financial data necessary for an accurate and GAAP-compliant accounting of consolidated business results including
- Coordinating and preparing internal and external financial statements.
- Reviewing month-end journal entries and account reconciliations.
- Oversee federal and private grant accounting and financial reporting, including funds released, labor and overhead allocations.
- Perform monthly cash reconciliations. Maintain and implement cash handling policies and procedures in accordance with best practices.
- Oversee financial regulatory reporting including tax planning and compliance. Ensure timely submission of tax returns and compliance with payment and reporting requirements
- Coordinate activities of external auditors. Lead in the conduct of year-end financial and single audits, as well as compliance audits.
A well-qualified candidate will possess the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, Business Administration or related field or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience, required.
- CPA highly preferred.
- Knowledge of maintaining financial databases and computerized accounting systems required. Knowledge of Intacct strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of economic and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and practices, and the analysis and reporting of financial data.
- Demonstrated ability to accurately analyze information and make sound recommendations that have business impact on day-to-day operations.
- Knowledge of governmental rules and regulations as they apply to non-profit organizations.